The Rack Manufacturers Institute (RMI) announces the celebration of its 50th Anniversary in 2008. Founded in 1958, RMI is a leading association for the manufacturers of Industrial Steel Storage Racks, Welded Wire Rack Decking and Related Structural Systems. RMI members are the Industry's leading manufacturers, supplying industrial rack and welded wire rack deck solutions worldwide and in virtually every major manufacturing and distribution sector.
RMI Programs Include:
- Accreditation by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) as developer for U.S. Industrial Steel Storage Racks and Welded Wire Rack Decking product and safety standards;
- Voluntarily adherence to the appropriate RMI/ANSI standards
- Voluntary adherence to the RMI R-Mark Certification, a certification process for rack and welded wire rack deck manufacturers administered through a panel of independent Registered Professional Engineers. The R-Mark is offered by RMI under license to members and non-members who are proven to meet certain requirements.to participate in the R-Mark Certification Program;
- Funding of product testing and R&D programs that have resulted in virtually all of the technical advances made within the U.S. Codes/Standards Community for industrial rack and welded wire rack deck standards.
- Educational materials and programs to create additional value for you as a user of industrial storage racks and related products. This included sponsorship of two educational sessions at NA 2008: Rack Storage - The Importance of Standards and R-Mark Certification and Pallet Racks and Decking - Considerations for Selecting, Installing, Maintaining and Operating.
- Sits on a number of code and fire safety bodies to further assist in advancing the state of the art in rack design/application.
- Active liaison with sister organizations both domestically and internationally.
- The collection and dissemination reliable industry statistics on the Rack Industry.
RMI is an affiliated trade association of MHIA. RMI was formed in 1958 by visionary industry leaders whose mission it remains to advance standards, quality, safety and general fitness for intended use of Industrial Steel Storage Rack Systems. In 2005, RMI expanded its membership to include welded wire rack deck manufacturers. RMI member companies are concerned, conscientious manufacturers affiliated in an industry association to provide voluntary standards for the design of industrial steel storage rack systems, and to formulate guidelines for the proper use, operation and maintenance of those systems.
MHIA is an international trade association that has represented the material handling & logistics industry since 1945. MHIA members include material handling and logistics equipment and systems manufacturers, integrators, consultants, publishers, and third party logistics providers. Member companies come from all areas of material handling and various parts of the world, making MHIA a strong national and international representative for the material handling industry. Much of the work of the industry is done within its product-specific sections, councils and affiliates. The association also sponsors trade events, such as ProMat and NA 2008 to showcase the products and services of its member companies and to educate industry professionals on the productivity solutions provided through material handling and logistics.