For their innovative customer service, social responsibility, technology solutions, and toll operations, engineering and maintenance as well as successful solutions to administration and finance issues, five tolling agencies and a private firm captured top honors from the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association (IBTTA). IBTTA is the worldwide transportation association representing toll facility owners, operators and the businesses that serve them.
Recipients of the 2016 IBTTA National Toll Excellence Awards include:
- Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise (Orlando)
- NC Turnpike Authority (Morrisville)
- The Foothill/Eastern Transportation Corridor Agency (Orange County, CA)
- Harris County Toll Road Authority (Houston)
- Central Florida Expressway Authority (Orlando)
- CDM Smith (Boston, MA), a privately operated firm.
The awards will be presented on Monday, September 12, 2016, during IBTTA's 84th Annual Meeting and Exhibition,September 11-16 in Denver.
"These agencies represent the leading edge of excellence, innovation and achievement in the tolling industry,"said Earl J. "Buddy" Croft III, Executive Director for the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority; and IBTTA president. "As toll roads across the U.S. continue to expand and grow ever more sophisticated, we expect these awards to become even more competitive."
One recipient also will be honored with the prestigious President’s Award for Excellence during the awards ceremony in Denver.
“This year’s submissions demonstrated a particularly high level of innovation, making the final decision for the 2016 President's Award for Excellence especially difficult,” said Patrick D. Jones, Executive Director and CEO of IBTTA. “These honorees represent just a handful of great examples of projects that put into action new ideas and emerging practices throughout our industry. Our honorees have set new benchmarks which all toll agencies can use as a basis for future improvements and innovation.”
The 2016 honorees and their winning projects are as follows:
- Administration & Finance - Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise – I-4 Connector
- Customer Service & Marketing Outreach - North Carolina Turnpike Authority - Multi-Agency Interoperability
- Social Responsibility - The Foothill/Eastern Transportation Corridor - State Route 241 Wildlife Safety Fence Improvement Project
- Technology - Harris County Toll Road Authority - Prohibited Vehicle Rapid Alert System (RAS)
- Toll Operations, Maintenance & Engineering - Central Florida Expressway Authority - Wrong-Way Pilot Driving Program
- Private Sector Innovation - CDM Smith - National Interstate Tolling Analysis Tool